August 13, 2018

Europe '81: Munich

September 13, 1981

I arrived in Munich on a cool rainy day on the 1:23 p.m train from Innsbruck. I was now past the midpoint of my three-week tour of Europe and about to begin a brief visit to the capital of the German state of Bavaria.






I checked in at the Pension Hungaria, which  I noted in my trip diary was clean, comfortable, very friendly and helpful. Then I paid a visit to the Alte Pinakothek art museum where I saw paintings by Rembrandt, Rubens and Brughel.

The next day I walked through the 14th century Karlstor Gate into the old city shopping area. I noted the Cathedral, Old and New City Halls, the Glockenspiel that chimed at 11:00 a.m. and the Alter Hof  which dates from 1255.



Karlstor Gate, Munich (1981)


New Town Hall and Glockenspiel (1981)


Old Town Hall (1981)


Alter Hof (1981)


After shopping for sweaters in the Hertie (shut down in 2009) and Kaufhof (now owned by Canadian Hudson's Bay Company) department stores I enjoyed tea and a good, light cheesecake at Cafe Hag.

Next my diary notes the jewelled skeleton of a martyr at St. Peter's Church which was rebuilt after it was destroyed in WW II.  Oddly I don't remember the relic.

On my third and last day in Munich I headed to Nymphenburg Palace, summer residence of the Bavarian rulers. I noted that this baroque palace was similar to Schonbrunn (but the grounds are not as attractive). I also visited the Amalienburg, a fancy hunting lodge, and admired the extravagant court carriages in the Marstallmuseum.



Nymphenburg Palace, Munich (1981)



Nymphenburg Palace Grounds (1981)



Palace Swans (1981)



Palace Fountain


In the afternoon I went to the Schatzkammer, or Treasury where the jewels and treasures were even more impressive than in Vienna. I took special note of a small statuette of St. George with it's huge rubies, emeralds and diamonds. I still remember the beautiful statuette today (even without a photo!).

At 8:47 that evening I boarded the Orient Express to the last city on my itinerary, Paris.




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.