September 10, 2018

Europe '81: Montmartre

September 18, 1981

I had such high hopes that scouring my trip diary and going through my old photographs would bring back deeply buried memories of my first trip to Europe. Unfortunately many of those days remain a blank. About the only thing I remember about my visit to Montmartre was the weather: warm and rainy.



Montmartre, Paris (2012)


I recall standing on the hilltop terrace below the basilica of Sacré-Coeur, gazing out over the city of Paris beneath a dark, brooding sky. The rain had left the bohemian neighbourhood of Montmartre looking grimy, especially the white stone exterior of the basilica. Things looked better when I returned in 2012, and the artists on Place du Tertre didn't have to contend with foul weather.



The Boulangerie on the Corner (1981)



The Boulangerie on the Corner (2012)



Basilica of Sacré-Coeur (1981)



Basilica of Sacré-Coeur (2012)



Place du Tertre (1981)



Place du Tertre (2012)



Montmartre (2012)

Following my visit to Montmartre I went to rue de Rivoli and did some shopping at a duty-free shop where I bought a bottle of Chanel No. 5 perfume. This classic fragrance is one I still wear today. According to my notes, the perfume cost me 131 francs ($27 CAD) including shipping home to Canada. What a deal!


Is this Paris? (1981)


I have a vague memory of walking beneath those arcades on rue de Rivoli, and I'm guessing that this photo of the horse-drawn carriages was taken nearby but I can't even be sure it was Paris. This exercise reinforces how important it is to take better notes the next time I travel!

Next time: Ile de la Cité

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.