September 24, 2018

Europe '81: Château de Versailles

September 20, 1981

I spent the last day of my first trip to Europe at Château de Versailles, the impressive French palace located twenty kilometres outside of Paris. Versailles was a luxurious royal residence until King Louis XVI and his wife, Marie-Antoinette, were forced out by an angry mob during the French Revolution. Today the Palace and Park of Versailles is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.



Château de Versailles (1981)


I was surprised to find my ticket to the park and gardens tucked safely in the back of my trip diary.



My Ticket to Versailles



Palace Gate (1981)




Palace Courtyard (1981)


According to the notes in my diary, Versailles was beautiful. I toured the State Apartments and saw Bernini's bust of Louis XIV, the Queen's Bedchamber, and David's "Coronation of Napoleon". The only photos I have from inside the palace were taken in the Hall of Mirrors, named for its 357 mirrors which were a great luxury at the time. This stunning gallery hung with glittering chandeliers is where the Treaty of Versailles was signed ending the First World War.



Hall of Mirrors (1981)



Hall of Mirrors (1981)


I also wandered around the palace's expansive grounds and lovely flower gardens. The flowers were still beautiful on a late September day but the fountains weren't spouting water. They must be a magical sight. I found a short video of the Musical Fountains Show on the Château de Versailles website.



Latona's Fountain and the
Grand Canal in the Background (1981)



Parterre Garden (1981)



Parterre Garden (1981)



Flora Fountain (1981)


The next day I returned to Toronto on a 4:20 p.m. flight via London. But once I'd had a taste of the diverse continent of Europe I couldn't wait to return. And I did, a few years later, on a mid-winter journey to Finland. That's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.