July 23, 2018

Europe '81: Schönbrunn Palace

September 10, 1981

My third day in Vienna began at Schönbrunn Palace, summer residence of the Habsburgs. The previous day I'd toured their winter residence, the Hofburg. According to the meagre notes in my trip diary the palace was beautiful and elaborate; the grounds lovely and spacious.


Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna (1981)


The palace and gardens are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I paid 65 ATS ($5.00 CAD) admission but unfortunately have very few photos from my visit. One of the best views of the palace grounds is across the Great Parterre to the Gloriette on top of the hill. The Gloriette was destroyed during WW II but later restored.


Palace Entrance (1981)


The Great Parterre, Neptune Fountain and Gloriette (1981)


My camera also captured a beautiful orchid in the Palmenhaus, Palm House, and an elephant (but barely) in the Tiergarten, the world’s oldest continually operating zoo.


Palmenhaus Orchid (1981)


Tiergarten Elephant (1981)


Following my visit to Schönbrunn Palace I looked for some gifts in Vienna's old town shopping district around Graben, Mariahilfer Strasse and Karntner Strasse. I also bought an enamel locket pendant (674 ATS or $50 CAD) for myself. The money was a gift from my grandmother and I still wear the locket, which holds a photo of my father.


Michaela Frey Locket Pendant (1981)



While preparing this post I took a closer look at my locket. The design is reminiscent of Art Nouveau so I checked the back and found the name Michaela Frey. I discovered that the company she founded in 1951 became Frey Wille in the 1970s and they base their designs on the works of artists like Claude Monet, Gustav Klimt, and the father of Art Nouveau, Alphonse Mucha. Michaela Frey died in 1980 so my locket may have been one of her last designs.



Frey Wille, Florence


Now I understand better why I chose the locket – and why it continues to be one of my favourite pieces of jewellery.

2 comments:

  1. My tour guide arranged for us to have dinner in the palace - well, I think it was like a large gazebo. The palace and grounds were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.