April 24, 2013

"U" is for Umbrella

This is Day 21 for the
Blogging from A to Z Challenge
for 2013.


The letter "U" is for umbrella, which can provide shelter from the rain or the sun. The origins of the umbrella go back 3,000 to 4,000 years in ancient Greece, Assyria and China.


I don't like to carry an umbrella when I'm travelling. I prefer a hooded rain jacket which frees up both hands for other important things, like putting on your reading glasses, unfolding and refolding maps, digging out a few euros from your bag or pocket, holding on to tickets, using your camera, etc. (A third hand would be much more useful.)



Rainy Day in Rome


There's an interesting little shop on Boulevard Saint Germain in Paris Alexandra Sojfer – that sells umbrellas, walking sticks and parasols which are works of art. I didn't make a purchase, but it was fun to browse. And I'm sorry that I didn't take any pictures.

I much prefer an umbrella on a beach or sunny terrace.




The Beach at Villefranche-sur-Mer


The Beach at Saint Jean Cap Ferrat


Eze Village



And I enjoy dining al fresco beneath an umbrella, especially when it comes with a view of the Mediterranean or an ancient ruin.



Clocktower Square, Avignon


Terrace of Château Eza, Eze-le-Village


Dining in the Shadow of Nîmes Arena



And umbrellas can be enjoyed poolside, day or night.



Le Vallon de Valrugues, St. Remy-de-Provence


Fairmont Monte Carlo

Yes, I like an umbrella pretty much any time and any where but not in the rain.

Next:  "V" is for Van Gogh


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.