June 06, 2015

AWOL in Niagara

I missed my regular post last week as I was doing some travelling, playing tourist in my home province of Ontario. Niagara Falls is one of our country's top attractions and my last visit was over thirty years ago. So when I got the chance to see this natural wonder again I couldn't pass it up.



Niagara Falls, Ontario



Counted among the world's top ten waterfalls, Niagara Falls is actually comprised of three falls: the larger Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side of the border plus the American and Bridal Veil Falls in the state of New York.



The Canadian Horseshoe Falls


The American and Bridal Veil Falls


Maid of the Mist Tour Boat


Skylon Tower


The breakfast room of our hotel had a great view overlooking the Niagara River. The shimmering waters reminded me of another breakfast in Monte Carlo.



Breakfast in Niagara Falls


Breakfast in Monte Carlo


One night we had dinner at the Copacabana Brazilian steak house. (I can't say the name without singing the lyrics to Barry Manilow's song.) There's no menu here, just a good salad bar and servers bearing long skewers of grilled meats that are sliced at your table. There are 17 different varieties including beef, lamb, pork, chicken and salmon – plus a delicious grilled pineapple.

Niagara Falls hosts plenty of tourist attractions, from Marineland to indoor skydiving, but my visit was very brief. From Niagara Falls I headed to Toronto for a couple of days relaxing on the shores of Lake Ontario.

Next: Beach Therapy

6 comments:

  1. My last trip to the Falls was in 1993. I took one of my sons and he convinced me to 'shoot the rapids' on the river in a jet boat. One of the best adventures ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're much braver than me - there's a lot of power in that river!

      Delete
  2. Just calling in to say hi on the A to Z Challenge Road Trip. Seeing Niagara Falls is definitely on my bucket list! Carolyn from pastimes-passions-paraphernalia.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning photos of such a beautiful natural wonder. I have only been once about 13 years ago, and we also approached from the Canadian side. As for the restaurant, as soon as I saw the name, the song started in my head too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now you've got me singing it again...

      Delete

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.