January 04, 2019

Friday Reads: The Nightingale




The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah



Happy New Year! The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah is my first read of 2019. I've been meaning to dive into this bestselling novel for a long time but last year I set it aside, opting instead for the narrower spines on my bookshelf to keep pace with my goal of 52 books in the Goodreads Reading Challenge.






I've joined the Challenge again for 2019 with a more modest goal of 15 books. I won't have as much time for reading this year as I'll be doing more writing, plus I have three trips planned and will soon be welcoming my first grandchild! In my spare time I'd like to dig into the thicker novels accumulating on my bookshelf (like The Clockmaker's Daughter and The Goldfinch).

Before I shift out of holiday mode next week I'm indulging in a little extra reading time with The Nightingale. The novel tells the story of two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, living in German-occupied France during World War II, how they survived the hardships of war and the ways in which they each fought against the enemy.



The City of Paris







I chose The Nightingale as my first book of the year because I wanted to read it before it's released as a film. The release date, last anticipated to be January 24, 2019, has now been changed to TBA. In the meantime I'm really enjoying the book and can't wait to see the movie.

Kristin Hannah's web site is kristinhannah.com.

Which do you prefer to do first, read a book or see the film?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.