June 25, 2018

Europe '81: Rome

September 4, 1981

Day 4 of my first trip to Europe must have been one of my best and, unlike the first three days, I actually do have memories. I also have a few photos which I'd had printed from my slides. I toured some of the city's major sights, beginning with the Trevi Fountain and my travel journal states that I threw two coins and made a wish, which is said to ensure one's return to Rome. The fountain has worked its magic as I've been back to the Eternal City twice since this first visit 37 years ago.



Trevi Fountain, Rome (1981)


Trevi Fountain, Rome (1981)


I also saw the Victor Emmanuel II Monument which I described as massive and the Campidogilio (or Capitoline Hill, one of the seven hills of Rome) which was smaller than expected and Marcus Aurelius missing! Perhaps he was off somewhere for restoration work, which is often the case with Europe's treasures.



Victor Emmanuel II Monument, Rome (2014)



Victor Emmanuel II Monument, Rome (2014)



Piazza del Campidoglio, Rome (2014)


Equestrian Statue of Marcus Aurelius (2014)


Next on my itinerary was the Forum (entry fee 1,000 lire or $1 CDN). I found it intriguing (even in a 1/2 hour storm). I remember the thrill of walking along the streets of ancient Rome and trying to take shelter from the rain behind a marble column. In subsequent visits I've viewed the Forum from Capitoline Hill but this was the only time I've experienced the ruins up close.




The Forum, Rome (1981)



The Forum, Rome (1981)



The Forum, Rome (1981)




View of the Forum from Capitoline Hill (2014)


That day I also toured the nearby Palatine Hill and Colosseum but I don't remember much. Fortunately I've returned to the Colosseum twice.



The Colosseum, Rome (2014)




Interior of the Colosseum (2014)



That evening I took a bus tour (17,000 lire or $17 CDN) to the nearby town of Tivoli and this I remember quite well. Villa d'Este at night enchanting - so beautiful & peaceful. Learned about cameos. Walked under fountain (the Oval Fountain). It really was an amazing place and I regret not having any photos of the beautiful Renaissance garden with its floodlit fountains.  I'd go back again in a heartbeat if I could. Here's a link to the Photogallery on the Villa d'Este web site which includes a few photos taken at night.

I bought this alabaster trinket box (10,000 lire or $10 CDN) as a souvenir of my visit.



Alabaster Trinket Box from Tivoli


September 5th, my last scheduled day in Rome, was spent at Vatican City which is the home of the Roman Catholic Church. My impression of St. Peter's Basilica was very brief: overwhelming ornamentation and size (Pieta, Baldacchino).



St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City (2014)




The Pieta, Michelangelo
St. Peter's Basilica (2010)


The Baldacchino and Dove Window (2010)




Dome of St. Peter's Basilica (2010)



I remember walking along the massive walls of Vatican City to the entrance of the Vatican Museums (admission 2,500 lire or $2.50 CDN). Today these walls would be lined by throngs of tourists queued up to buy tickets, but not so in 1981. I'm pretty sure I walked right in. There was also no airport-style security screening. In my journal I noted great collection (Egyptian mummies, Apollo Belvedere, Raphael Rooms, Sistine Chapel). I wish I could remember the Raphael Rooms and especially The School of Athens, one of my favourite works by Raphael. For some reason neither of my subsequent visits to Vatican City have included this section of the museum.



Vatican Wall (2014)



Ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City



The next day I was scheduled to take a train to Florence but I had a migraine so I stayed on in Rome an extra day to rest. Next week I'll remember my brief visit to Firenze.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, no lines in 1969 either. Unlike you, my coins must have been counterfeit cause I never made it back. Lucky you to still have good slides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe there’s a trip to Rome in your future!🤞

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.