August 29, 2016

News and Surprises from England

When I research a trip I'm about to take, I go into a lot of detail. I want to know everything that will be going on and all the wonderful things I can see while I'm there. Sometimes I worry that I might overdo it and lose the element of surprise. But England didn't disappointment me. Several unexpected sights were in store for me – like the object of the cows' attention. (I'll tell you more about that another time.) After returning home and doing more research, I continue to be surprised.



What are these cows looking at?


While cruising the River Thames to Greenwich one morning we came across a flotilla of sailing ships. I did a Google search and found out that we'd crossed paths with the yachts returning to London's St. Katharine Docks from a year long, round the world race.



Finale of the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race


We also visited Salisbury Cathedral, home to one of four copies of the Magna Carta. I was surprised to find modern pieces of glasswork displayed throughout the medieval cathedral, part of an exhibition entitled Reflection.



Incandescent, by Amy Cushing
Salisbury Cathedral


Exhibitionism, an exhibition of Rolling Stones memorabilia at London's Saatchi Gallery, will close on September 4th but that's not the end of the show. I've just learned that the exhibit will open to North American fans when it relocates to New York City in November.



The Rolling Stones at the Saatchi Gallery


I loved the Dale Chihuly chandelier at the Victoria and Albert Museum so I was pleased to discover that the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto is now hosting an exhibit of the artist's work until January 2017.



Chihuly Chandelier, Victoria and Alberta Museum


Next week I'll share a few of my favourite photos (and a hint about what has captured the attention of these curious cows).




2 comments:

  1. I love surprises when I am on vacation. One of my biggest was the passing of the Olympic torch in Melbourne, Australia in 2000. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a big surprise. Thank you, Denise, for sharing too.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.