July 04, 2016

My 5 Favourite Food Moments

I love to try different foods while visiting other counties. Even within individual European nations there can be so many different regional cuisines. It was a difficult task to narrow my choices down to only five, but here are some of my favourite food moments in France and Italy.

1.  Beef Bourguignon in Beaune, France

Home to grazing Charolais cattle and sun-drenched vineyards, the region of Burgundy was the ideal place to try the local specialty, Boeuf Bourguignon.


Boeuf Bourguignon, Beaune

Charolais Cattle, Burgundy


2.  Seafood Risotto in Venice, Italy 

Venice is a city of the sea. I enjoyed my first seafood risotto on the fisherman's island of Burano in the Venetian lagoon and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Of course I had to return for an encore.


Seafood Risotto in Venice


The Island of Burano, Venice


3.  Escargot in Lyon, France

The city of Lyon is known as the capital of French gastronomy so what better place is there to order a plate of escargot? Earlier in the day I'd seen them stuffed with herb butter and ready-to-cook in the market of Les Halles.


Escargots in Lyon

Escargots at Les Halles Market



4.  Aperol Spritz on Lake Maggiore, Italy

If I had to choose a favourite beverage I'd go with the colourful Italian aperitivo, the Aperol Spritz. The peaceful lakeside scenery on Lago Maggiore made my beverage even more enjoyable.


Aperol Spritz, Lake Maggiore


Baveno on Lake Maggiore



5.  Macarons at Laduree, Paris

I must not forget sweet treats, like the French macaron which was invented at Ladurée. We enjoyed a sampling of four different flavours at the original patisserie and tea room on rue Royale.


Ladurée Macarons


Ladurée, Paris


I'm sure it's no surprise that I’ve prepared a wish list of traditional British favourites for my trip to England later this month:

Cornish Pasty
Fish & Chips
Curry
Pie and Mash
Sticky Toffee Pudding
Pimms


I also have some unique dining experiences lined up while in London: a Medieval Banquet with minstrels, jugglers and troubadours; Afternoon Tea at the Orangery of Kensington Palace; and perhaps a little champagne and caviar in Harrod’s famous Food Hall. Maybe I can also fit in a meal at one of the many restaurants owned by TV chefs Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay.

I’ll be sure to let you know how these new experiences live up to my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.