September 15, 2014

Travel Theme: Noise

A parading brass band at the Changing of the Guard in London or the steady beat of a lone drummer at the Avignon Festival in France  - are these sounds considered music? Or are they noise?


Changing of the Guard, London

Drummer at the Avignon Festival

Sometimes my proximity to the source of the sound determines my answer. From a distance, I find a pealing bell a very pleasant sound.


The Chapel of St. Pierre, Villefranche-sur-Mer

But when I get too close I need to cover my ears. Thank goodness it was only 1 o'clock when we were standing at the top of the bell tower of San Giorgio Maggiore!


Bells of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice

A gushing fountain is never noise, especially when accompanied by classical music like the fountains at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild in Cap Ferrat, France.


Musical Fountains on Cap Ferrat, France

Various modes of transport also create noise, like the speedy jet boats running from Sorrento to the Isle of Capri. 


Jet Boat in Sorrento, Italy

I preferred the powerful roar of a Ferrari while touring the streets of Monaco.


Monaco by Ferrari

Visit Where's my backpack? for more photos of noise and weekly travel themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.